Sunday, April 5, 2009

Changing habits

I remember reading an article(Spam) few days after 26 November Terrorist attacks in Mumbai. I dont exactly remember how it related to incident but I clearly remember its recommendation to use Indian products. It talked about some good Indian brands which I could use but never bothered to look at just because its Indian (local, cheap, inferior).

I made it a point then onward to try and follow the recommendation. Since then I did few one off kind of purchases and bought Indian brands. For example I bought two deos, one Cinthol and another Park Avenue. I am more than satisfied with both my purchase. I could have easily picked up BRUT, Gillette, Nivea etc but I resisted and allowed myself to experiment.

Today I kind of bought various small products. I would like to mention my changed brands.

Toothpaste- I changed from Colgate to Dabur Meshwak.
Hair Shampoo- Wanted to buy HLL's sunsilk but moved to Dabur Vatika.
Hair Oil- Bought Bajaj Brahmi Amla oil.

Foreign Brands
Toothbrush- Only Indian brand I could find was Binaca whose bristle I didnt like So had to buy Oral B.
Shaving Blades- Gillette. I dont know any Indian competitor.

One thing I observed about Indian brands is most of the times they are equal priced or cheaper.

I hope it would help some fellow Indian.

My company (US MNC) has started focusing on localization then why not me?

So next time you go for shopping, ask yourself this question before you buy anything, why not Indian.

No comments: